Christmas Improvisation and Composition Activity
A Christmas/Winter themed activity, using time signatures, rhythms and musical elements to prompt improvisation and musical expression. Can be used as a starting point for longer compositions.
This Christmas Improvisation and Composition printable activity is intended for use in musical instrumental lessons, (or class music lessons where pitched instruments are available).
Activity objectives are to:
- Consolidate rhythmic skills
- Make improvisation fun and accessible
- Develop musical expression through the use of dynamics, tempo, articulation and pitch
- Incorporate an understanding of time signatures
- Inspire composition
- Five Christmas/winter themes
- Six sets of rhythm cards, of varying complexity (in the time signatures 4/4, 3/4 and 6/8)
The five themes included are:
- A cosy cottage
- A cold, snowy day
- Icy blue penguin party
- A wintry wonderland
- A snowy village
- Choose a set of rhythm cards and a theme
- Place the rhythm cards in the spaces on the theme page in any order you like
- Identify the time signature and place it in the space on the theme card
- Clap the rhythm
- Think about the theme – how might you use articulation, tempo, pitch and dynamics to convey the theme in your music?
- Playing your instrument, improvise a melody inspired by the theme, using the rhythm on the cards
- Try changing the order of the rhythm cards, using a different set of rhythm cards or using a different theme
- Extend the activity by developing longer compositions
Created by Kate Thompson
Follow us on Facebook
- This resource is delivered to you by My Music Resource.
- It comes with a single studio licence for your own use. In other words, you can only copy and distribute the licenced material(s) for the purpose of teaching students you teach and/or for their private study. Do not share this licenced material with anybody else, including teachers in the same studio or different studios. You can find more details on studio licence terms in our terms and conditions.
- You can download this resource up to 6 times. After 6 downloads, you will reach your download limit. To ensure that you have ongoing access to any resources ordered, save them to a separate folder on your computer once downloaded.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any issues accessing or downloading your resource -we will get back to you shortly!
- Alternatively, please refer to our comprehensive Help documents if you have any questions.
Primary School (4-11)
Beginner (Initial), Early Elementary (Grade 1), Elementary (Grade 2), Early Intermediate (Grade 3), Intermediate (Grade 4)
Composition, Improvising, Rhythm