Christmas Improvisation and Composition Activity
A Christmas/Winter themed activity, using time signatures, rhythms and musical elements to prompt improvisation and musical expression. Can be used as a starting point for longer compositions.
This Christmas printable activity is intended for use in musical instrumental lessons, (or class music lessons where pitched instruments are available).
Activity objectives are to:
- Consolidate rhythmic skills
- Make improvisation fun and accessible
- Develop musical expression through the use of dynamics, tempo, articulation and pitch
- Incorporate an understanding of time signatures
- Inspire composition
- Five Christmas/winter themes
- Six sets of rhythm cards, of varying complexity (in the time signatures 4/4, 3/4 and 6/8)
The five themes included are:
- A cosy cottage
- A cold, snowy day
- Icy blue penguin party
- A wintry wonderland
- A snowy village
- Choose a set of rhythm cards and a theme
- Place the rhythm cards in the spaces on the theme page in any order you like
- Identify the time signature and place it in the space on the theme card
- Clap the rhythm
- Think about the theme – how might you use articulation, tempo, pitch and dynamics to convey the theme in your music?
- Playing your instrument, improvise a melody inspired by the theme, using the rhythm on the cards
- Try changing the order of the rhythm cards, using a different set of rhythm cards or using a different theme
- Extend the activity by developing longer compositions
Primary School (4-11)
Beginner (Initial), Early Elementary (Grade 1), Elementary (Grade 2), Early Intermediate (Grade 3), Intermediate (Grade 4)
Composition, Improvising, Rhythm
Anonymous (Verified Purchase) –
I am delighted with the attractiveness and the clear presentation style of this resource. I can’t wait to use it!
I also love the range of pupil confidence levels that it could apply to – and it has sparked me into thinking of other topics, etc, that could be explored in this sort of way, too.
The care that went into it would encourage me to buy others of this type if they are created in the future.